Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Group or ungroup shapes, pictures, or other objects in Word 2010

 

I have been using word 2010, didn’t check if this is true to other versions, but could not select multiple objects.

I usually go with stackoverflow with these questions, but couldn’t find such.

Found one on msdn, but the answer had ZERO points, yet it was the only one that worked.

original question taken from : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/796feaad-0d94-4da6-bd72-e23942cbfc47/cant-select-multiple-objects-in-word-2010?forum=worddev

“I'm using Office 2010 Professional Plus 64-bit.  I can't select multiple objects in Word 2010 either by shift-clicking, control-clicking, rubber-banding or using control-a in either the main work area or in the selection pane.  There's no way to group objects or to make simultaneous canges to multiple objects.

Is this a bug or did Microsoft Office developers decide that people won't want to handle more than one object at a time in the future? Maybe that we are de-evolving back to monkeys or something? …“

 

and the solution I found by Wamer_ca who answered on  Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:49 PM

to whom I could not award points as they closed the question, and awarded no one.

 

“ I have had this same problem off and on since moving to Office 2010 and I think I've found a solution.

I would take a screen shot and then want to add arrows or shapes to highlight specific areas. I wanted to group the shapes and screen shot together so that they would be perfectly aligned as the document evolved.

The problem was that I could not select all of the objects at the same time. The most frustrating part was that sometimes this would work and sometimes it would not. I was not sure what the reason was.

Well, I got it to work!

The default text wrapping style is “In Line with Text” when you paste the screen shot. Changing this to be “In front of Text” or “In Line with Text” allowed all of the objects (screen shot and shapes) to be selected and grouped together.

You can find the text wrapping feature by right clicking on the object and selecting “Format Object”. It is under the “Layout” menu.

I think the problem is when there is a difference between the text wrapping options for the different objects this prevents them from being selected together. Changing this is what fixed the problem for me. “

 

So to you Wamer_ca I say thankyou and Kudos. You helped me out.

1 comment:

xenikeary said...

Columbia Titanium Pants | Tetonius Technology
Designed in the Tetonius winnerwell titanium stove Technology USA, leatherman charge titanium the everquest titanium Columbia style pants are titanium oxide made of durable nylon and a titanium tent stakes stretchy texture.